Yes, how tedious, I might just comment on every paragraph as they come. The truth is that Mrs. Child has so many gems that you can't get away without skipping them.
"The true economy of housekeeping is simply the art of gathering up all the fragments, so that nothing be lost."
Unfortunately, in the 21st century we only think of 'economy' in terms of bad or good, and most generally in relation to the President. As if it were his fault that the American 'economy' is failing! Let me say this, although no man is an island, he darn well better be able to support whoever is visiting his little paradise. You are in charge of your own micro-economy.
Lest we be confused, here is Mr Webster's definition of economy that Mrs. Child is refering to: careful management of available resources. This, in many ways, is one of the first commandments given to man in the Bible when the Lord commands Adam to 'subdue' the earth. This does not mean to exert power of it, but to use the earth and its resources to create good things. So if by definition, and commandment, we are to carefully make good use of the resources around us, we will be truly upholding our own micro-economy. We will be able to provide for, and sustain the needs of our own island, and whoever may be on it, since it would be a bit too "Lord of the Flies" if we believed that we only had to provide for ourselves.
So where has the 21st century gone wrong? Why have we thrown true personal economy to the wind? Because it is easy. It is the whole premise upon which convinient stores were built, giant shopping malls were designed, and even the Goodwill. It is easier to just go to the store and get the things you need rather than do your best to have them on hand, or even produce them yourself. It is easier to walk from shop to shop in a large air conditioned mall than to look around to find the little shops that are off the beaten path that are willing to give you any deal if you just find them. It is easier to feel good about dropping off your old stuff at the Goodwill instead of reusing it in your own home, patching it up, or even, when it comes to its worst, using things as a rag. Who even has a 'rag bag' anymore? Most would not even know what to do with spare rags, bits and pieces of things.
I was recently impressed while visiting a children's museum in a large city. It was one of the wonderful old refurbished buildings that was still under construction, but they were doing all they could to open the doors to the areas they had prepared for the kids. As I looked at each area I noticed how simply everything was made. I kept thinking, "I could make that!" or "I have that at home, why didn't I think of that?" Yes, the museum was one of those wonderful not for profit establisments, which meant that unselfishly the were trying to make every penny stretch for the benefit of the kids. The truly creative people that put together wonder filled play rooms for your kids had not strayed far from their own home for materials. The artsy folks who decorated the dilapidated walls used scraps of fabric and end-cuts of wood. Even the bathrooms bespoke economy as my 2 year old daughter noticed, there were 'mirrors in the floor,' little bits of broken glass pieced in with the tile.
"The true economy of housekeeping is simply the art of gathering up all the fragments, so that nothing be lost."
Is it possible that if we once gain become gatherers, simple artist, and mostly, good housekeepers, that our national economy will reflect the natural economy of each household. Yes. Absolutely. And it will never again be contingent upon which person you put in office, rather what is happening in your own.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nancy, I love this blog. What a wonderful idea. This post in particular keeps bringing to mind the old parable of the lost sheep. I especially like the phrase "That nothing be lost". Thanks so much for your research and insights. I've been thinking in the same lines lately and I'm glad to have more resources to turn to.
ReplyDelete