One of the most important catalysts to this whole project has been the General Conference talk by Elder Robert D. Hales in April of 2009. As he spoke of Becoming Provident Providers both Temporally and Spiritually.
Elder Hales spoke with the experience of years and tenderness of a loving parent. He outlined basic principles of providence in a frugal lifestyle, and how such will be sanctioned and blessed by the spirit of the Lord. As I listened to him, I realized that is what I wanted to become.
Following the admonition of Paul, I sought after good things that would lead me in a pattern of a provident, self-sufficient, and frugal lifestyle. I began truly searching and understanding how I could be able to keep a one year supply of food for my family; starting first with a 3 month supply of food and water and building the staples. I also found great security in preparing 72 hour emergency kits and First Aid Kits for all of our vehicles and our home. I documented all that I learned and created in a binder for my family. I then began gardening with the appropriate season.
In following the counsel of prophets, I have found a more joyous way of living. Adding to the many good things to be found, including books written over a century ago, I am continuously building a more frugal and self-sustaining life.
Recently, I read an article in the newspaper about leaving no 'Eco-Footprint." I was intrigued by the experiments of others to live without harming the environment, but in more specific terms, in ways that allowed them to provide for themselves all needful things. In doing so, many people came to the realization of what is really needful. I am now adopting more research along the common and popular 'green' ideas of our times. What they may not notice in their campaign to 'save the planet' is that they are saving themselves from a lifestyle that will make them so dependent on modern conviniences that they will be handicapped if ever they are put in a situation where they are not available.
Friday, October 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment